Re: workstation problem is a ldap problem?

Hi all,

a short update from my side:

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 06:22:54PM +0100, Andreas Schockenhoff wrote:
> a new hint. dns seams to works also on a workstation now.
>
> ldapsearch -xZWD
> 'uid=super-admin,ou=People,dc=skole,dc=skolelinux,dc=no'
>
> Works on tjener and on the diskless workstation but not on the extra
> installed workstation.
>
> ldapsearch -xZWD 'uid=super-admin,ou=People,dc=skole,dc=skolelinux,dc=no'
> ldap_start_tls: Connect error (-11)
> Enter LDAP Password:
> ldap_result: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)
>
> I also see some log messages that says "can not connect LDAP server".

Update on the latest fixes/problems (from debian-edu-changelog):
(<URL:http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-edu/trunk/src/debian-edu-config/?op=log&rev=0&sc=1&isdir=1>)

 * Rename cf.ldap2bind to cf.bind. Add rule to switch off IPv6 for
   bind to silence IPv6 lookup failure messages.

==> less error messages in the syslog from named

 * Fix bug in debian-edu-ldapserver that inhibits the fallback to
   'ldap' as ldap server.  State the cause of failure precisely in the log.

==> this makes the "can not connect LDAP server" messages vanish and
    many things start to work

 * Add mail alias for bind pointing to root.
 * Allow users of group 'bind' to write in /etc/bind/.  Needed to
   make ldap2bind chronjob work.

==> this should make cronjob ldap2bind work

 * Add 'current_directory = /' to exim's rootmail transport
   configuration to make mail services to root work again.

==> this should solve the exim-no-mail problem

These fixes will probably be uploaded tomorrow and should work as soon
as the DVD is rebuilt after that.

New observations:

* After installation (workstation), I found one interface commented
  out in /etc/network/interfaces by NetworkManager (I remember that I
  have seen something like that before). After reactivation, (and with
  aboves fix to find 'ldap'), almost anything seems to work on my
  workstation.

* Workstation log messages do not appear on tjener (works on diskless).

For me diskless workstations work, but there are warnings/errors when
booting and it's rather slow. So if someone could have a look into
that, it would be great.

Best regards,

     Andi