Re: Gosa vs. CipUX

Hi,

Mike Gabriel wrote:
> I want to grab one issue from the current NFS4+Krb5 thread that concerns
> me...

May be I oversee something here but I do not see the connection
between NFS4+Krb5 and CipUX. (or Gosa).

> In Germany there is quite an initiative around CipUX and Skolelinux
> going on. Now I read about Gosa being (probably) used for user and site
> management. Both systems probably have their pros and cons, but somehow
> they feel mutually exclusive to me. But maybe I am wrong at this point...

Since there is a common sense in Skolelinux how to handle LDAP
attributes more than one interface can be used to administer users.
So I do not feel the "vs." in your subject.

> Could someone just in short point out the current (and hopefully common)
> strategy around user and site management? Wiki-Links will of course
> suffice, if there are any...

>From the perspective of CipUX the strategy is to become a software
package in Debian which can be used by Debian and Debian pure blends
like Skolelinux. We booked huge success in that in the last 2 years.
But there is still a little way to go.

Unfortunately there is no much manpower left to support the
configuration of CipUX for Skolelinux at the moment. Therefore Gosa,
which have more support in the international project will probably
be the admin GUI for the next release. CipUX will be installable on
demand and will be used in some projects around Skolelinux in
Germany and France.

Greetings from Tokyo
Christian