NFS4 and Kerberos: A-records for same IP inflate the need for service principals

Hi all,

the last days I found a little time to have a look into the issue of
using NFSv4 (and perhaps Kerberos) to mount the home directories.

I first configured NFS4 to export the home directories. After that I
tried kerberos authentication. However, I observed that it works only
in some cases, in most of the attempts to mount the share a missing
principal of the form nfs/XXX@INTERN was reported, where XXX is one of
the hostnames (and not tjener.intern) reported by this command:

root@tjener:~# host 10.0.2.2
2.2.0.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer tjener.intern.
2.2.0.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer kerberos.intern.
2.2.0.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ldap.intern.
2.2.0.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer domain.intern.
2.2.0.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer postoffice.intern.
2.2.0.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer syslog.intern.

If I understand things correctly, mounting the share with

mount -t nfs4 -o sec=krb5 tjener.intern:/ /skole/tjener/

converts tjener.intern into an IP adress and that address back to the
(full qualified) hostname. So only if by chance tjener.intern is used
for the lookup, the (existing) nfs/tjener.intern@INTERN principal is
used and things work as they should. If another hostname is used,
things fail because there is no corresponding service principal.

I tried to find the reason for these corresponding A-records, they
have been changed in commit 71704.
(<URL:http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-edu/trunk/src/debian-edu-config/ldap-bootstrap/?rev=71704&sc=1>)

I am not an expert regarding that stuff and I don't know if there are
other ways to achieve the desired. However, it looks as with the
current setup we need service principals for all host aliases.

Best regards,

     Andi