evaluating (and soon possibly contributing) to Skolelinux

Dear list,

in Kiel, Germany, we (Andreas Buchholz, Mie Gabriel, Angela Fuß) are currently setting up a project that is called ,,IT-Zukunft Schule'' (IT future schools) which is a free software IT concept combined with a communication/supervision/moderation concept. The IT concept is currently still based on some self-invented setup (Ubuntu based, derived from my IT consultant and sysadmin work at the Lernwerft school in Kiel).

In November 2010, we had a meeting with the sysadmins/deputy headmasters of 12 different schools in Kiel, quite a few of them being seriously interested in our concept. However, one of the quintessence was: do we have to re-invent the wheel. Two schools were especially interested in the UCS@School concept (Univention, Bremen, Germany), whereas Heinz-M. Graesing (X2go) really recommended the Skolelinux project in the phone calls we had lately.

What we are currently doing is evaluating Debian Edu/Skolelinux and Univention's UCServer technically. Goal of this evaluation is to choose between Skolelinux, UCS@School or our own concept or a mixture of all. Goal is also to evaluate how and if we can contribute to either of the projects/products (Skolelinux, UCS) and what way of contribution is more sustainable.

Thus, in the following weeks I might as well have some technical questions as questions about contribution, improvements, documentation, time lines etc. Is it OK, to direct these questions to this list? Or are there people on this list who I should better address privately (if they are willing to answer my question)?

Greetings to all and a happy new year!!!

light+love,
MIke

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, dorfstr. 27, 24245 barmissen

GnuPG Key ID 0x1943CA5B
mail: m.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de, http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy: