Re: install less software by default (Re: Which video editor should we install by default?

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 07:53:19PM +0100, Mike Gabriel wrote:
Hi Holger, hi Andreas,

On Mi 29 Dez 2010 18:48:59 CET Andreas Tille wrote:

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 12:49:18PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:

I propose something like creating a education-videoeditor package (which recommends our identified best of breed of videoeditors) and document this well, but not install by default.

Then schools wanting to do video-editing can install that package.

Sounds quite reasonable. My son has finished school and has never touched any video editor. While that's no proof that this software should not be used in schools I would also vote for an "install once it is really used" option rather than putting it on any box per default.

I have a cooperation running with a school in Kiel that uses video software (like kino) for dubbing already existing documentaries and replacing the narrators audio track (mostly English) with their own explanations of what is seen in the video.

Having an education-videoeditor meta package for Skolelinux will probably quite valueable to some institutions.

Interesting!

I see no problem, however, in those schools installing relevant video editing tools _after_ the core installation of Skolelinux.

Also, it seems to me that actual video editing is a heavy-weight approach. Have you considered instead to have them use a subtitle editor?

Kind regards,

 - Jonas