Re: More on the future LDAP admin gui in Debian Edu

On Sunday 24 October 2010 23:20 Klaus Knopper wrote:
> Hello Jürgen,
>
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 10:33:45PM +0200, Jürgen Leibner wrote:
> > On Sunday 24 October 2010 21:55 Philipp Huebner wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > IMHO this is a very good question which I would also love to see
> > > answered.
> > >

> > > Regards,
> >
> > +1
> >
> > ... and me would also like to hear a statement / answer  from the
> > project leader of the RLP project to the question above to get it
> > answered from the officials.
>
> I'm not sure whether I qualify as "official", but from my point of
> view as coordinator of developers for Skolelinux-RLP, all of our
> previous attempts of working together with the Skolelinux community,
> trying to integrate new features and options/requirements that are
> necessary by (german) law for german schools, have been turned down
> as being "not very interesting for mainstream Skolelinux" (exam mode)
> or "violating the policy" (italc), which is kind of frustrating, as
> you can imagine.

For me, you quallify as an official.
As I'm having an eye on CipUX since it was first shown to the project on
the gathering in Erkelenz (Germany) in 2006 iirc and being part of the
CipUX-Project at that time where the decision was done to choose LWAT
and not CipUX, you can beleave me, that I can understand that kind of
frustration.
But for me it is much more frustrating to see people with that huge
amount of knowledge like you, Petter Reinholdsen and others, not
pulling at the same end of the rope.

> Besides administration of classes, this mainly concerns examination
> modes and requirements for privacy and teacher supervision of
> desktops, disk quotas and x2go as replacement for ltsp.
>
> Before I get too much into details which you probably don't intended
> to hear, would you please define for me the part "not doing this" in
> the quote you voted +1 for:
>
>    "Which makes me wonder why the people using it in Rheinland-Pfalz
> are not doing this."

As Holger Levsen asks: "who in skolelinux is activly working on
integrating cipux?" which is "doing this".

So the question I agreed to is:
"Why are the people using it in Rheinland-Pfalz, are not activly working
on integrating CipUX in skolelinux?"

> What is "this"?

" integrating CipUX in skolelinux"

> What does it mean?

Making CipUX being on the install medium and provide it ready to use and
preconfigured at first boot after installation.

> What else can we do to help getting our extensions into Skolelinux,
> besides providing a  proof-of-concept of our addons working in
> schools, in real life?

Beginning with what I answered above to your question:"What does it
mean? ", would be a good move to see where things has to be done better
in future.
I would very welcome your work on Cipux at skolelinux svn.

Greetings, Jürgen

--
juergen@leibner.eu
GnuPG Key ID: 0x9CD43E5A