Geography apps on Lenny: Viking, Merkaartor, QLandkarte

Dear list,

analysing GPX files on thin clients can get very slow with java based Josm.
For introducing GPX files, native apps like meraartor, viking or qlandkarte
are provided with Debian Lenny.

This is a quick feedback for whom it concerns...

1.Viking takes the proxy settings from http_proxy (debug logs),
but yet fails download any maps. German l10n is incomplete in the Lenny package.
The settings menu doesn't work (but there is no proxy entry, anyway).

While Viking is my fav on my local sid installation, it is not usable
out of the box on Thin Clients.

2. Merkaartor - runs very nice, looks well and l10n is complete - you
just have to setup the correct proxy settings. I can't find a menu
entry in KDE, although I found this menu file:

#usr/share/menu/merkaartor
?package(merkaartor):needs="X11" section="Applications/Science/Geoscience"\
  title="merkaartor" command="/usr/bin/merkaartor"

3. Qlandkarte: No l10n for German in Lenny, not very intuitive to new users.

So, I go for 2, now. More to come.

Regards Ralf