Re: Time for a alpha0 release of squeeze-test images?

[Petter Reinholdtsen 2010-06-26]
> The Squeeze version is improving at a very high rate at the moment,
> thanks to the creation of the squeeze-test package repository and
> ISO builds.  It is improving so fast, that I believe it is time we
> start on announced test releases, to get more testers and feedback.

I've started on release notes for a alpha0 version on
<URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/ReleaseNotes>.  Please help me
bring it up to date.

> At the moment the standalone installation is working great, while
> the main-server installation is working fairly well.  CUPS seem to
> be broken, and it is not possible to add users in LDAP using lwat,
> but a lot of other services are getting into shape.

I wrote a small command line tool to create LDAP users and set their
password in kerberos.  It is called ldap-createuser-krb and seem to
work.  It is not a robust solution, but it make it possible to test.

> For the first test release, I believe the most important part to get
> feedback on is the user applications.  Do we install the right
> collection of packages?  Are some missing?  Are the packages we
> install translated to our users languages?

This is definitely the focus for the first alpha release.

The server and infrastructure setup is working fairly well, but the
LDAP directory structure should be reworked.  I believe we should
draft it on the wiki and come up with a well structured plan for what
LDAP should look like in the future.  Anyone willing to work on this?

> Anyway, I guess we should create a wiki page to draft the release
> announcement, and push out a test release.  Who got time to work on
> it?  I can help out, but doubt I will find time to do all of it. :)

No-one replied to offer help as far as I know.  I hope this do not
mean I am the only one with time and interest in working on a alpha0
release, as it might take a while if I have to do it all. :)

It is likely that Debian/Squeeze freezes in august 2010, and we really
should tro to get as much ready as possible before that, as it make
future maintainence a lot easier.

Happy hacking,