Re: Release update: transitions status and freeze, RC-bugs

Hi,

this is more or less my personal view, we have not discussed this list
recently among Debian Edu. I expect this will happen now...

On Freitag, 7. Mai 2010, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> Timeline
> ========
[...]
> Due to the rate of change in unstable, it's not easy at the moment to
> accurately estimate when we might be able to freeze.  In order to help us
> keep a clearer picture of which changes still need to occur before we can
> freeze, we will be introducing a "transition freeze" before the end of this
> month.  If you have not yet discussed your transition with the Release
> Team, please ensure that you have done so before May 21st.

Debian Edu has no transitions in the usual meaning of the word here. But we
need to get ready to release with squeeze too, which I would love to see
happening.

First, we have filed RC bugs against debian-edu* packages about problems we
are aware of. This sentence I wrote in March, when there were 5 RC bugs. This
number has gone down to zero at the moment :)

But there are also RC bugs listed at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=debian-edu;users=debian-edu@lists.debian.org -
which are 3 currently. This is probably the most useful URL for the release
team to get an (RC bug focussed) overview about the state of Debian Edu.

Then we will need to adapt to KDE4, which we havent done fully yet.

Another important todo iteam is to integrate gosa as a administration frontend
to replace lwat (which we used in Lenny and Etch) and webmin (which we've
used before and which functionality lwat never came close (but gosa does so
now). This goal still misses a bug to track progress.

Then we want to switch to Kerberos as well as introduce (out of the box)
support for roaming laptops. We need these features to stay competitive :-)

Last, and maybe least, we have introduced (in the Debian Edu lenny repository)
a package called d-i-bootimages, to provide PXE images for Debian Edu
installation. This bug is currently only of severity "important".

cheers,
	Holger