Re: access the cleartext root password during installation

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 01:37:20PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
[Jonas Smedegaard]
I believe debian-installer now supports *not* setting a root password, to support sudo style root access: noone is allowed to login as root directly, only indirectly as a user in the sudoers (or whatever) group.

If I am not mistaken, it do not provide the setup we need. It allow one to create a local user and not set the root password _or_ no local user and require to set the root password.

We do not want the initial local user, and some times might not want the root password, a combination that is not handled by d-i at the moment.

Ah, ok.

If you wonder how Debian Edu work, I recommend to test the install CDs or DVDs in a virtual machine. Your comments made me believe you have not tested Debian Edu for a while now. :)

I fail to see how testing the install routines would help understand the parts deliberately silenced from the user experience.

 - Jonas