Re: java applications on thinclients don't work smoothly

Am Freitag, 7. Mai 2010 schrieb Philipp Huebner:
> So I can choose between a very slow diskless workstation with good
> java performance, or a fast thinclient with very slow java
> performance.

Hi Philipp,

I can confirm that (some) Java apps are really slow via LTSP (and I
think they became slower with every upgrade).

Could you check if the bottle neck is CPU, memory, or bandwidth?

Especially apps that use multiple threading in Java seem to launch too
many processes.

Furthermore, Java uses its own widgets and hence all window elements are
transmitted as bitmap graphics (as opposed to other X widgets) - AFAIK.

I wonder if there are tweaking parameters for the Java VM - or faster
alternative VMs to be used?

Regards
Ralf