On Thoughts on roaming laptop setup for Debian Edu

Hi Petter and list,

I saw your blog post on "Thoughts on roaming laptop set-up for Debian
Edu" [1] and thought I'd point out use of the nssov slapd overlay with
caching for off-line operation [2].

Apparently you can configure slapd to use quite a reasonable amount of
memory (I think Howard Chu said that some time but my google skills are
lacking at the moment) so it should be possible for laptops.

For this it would be great if the nssov overlay were packaged in Debian
(it is in Ubuntu I think), probably as a separate package (which could
Provide: nslcd) but the OpenLDAP package maintainers are looking for
help so I don't think this will be done soon (I thought about helping
but I'm pretty busy at the moment already).

Also, the Ubuntu people have also been working on this also [3].

Anyway, hope this helps.

[1] http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Thoughts_on_roaming_laptop_setup_for_Debian_Edu.html
[2] http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/201003/msg00141.html
[3] https://wiki.kubuntu.org/NetworkDirectoryUserLogin

(btw, I'm not subscribed to this list so if you want a reply from me you
will have to Cc me)

--
-- arthur - arthur@arthurdejong.org - http://arthurdejong.org --