Re: Version numbering scheme for edu packages for lenny and squeeze?

Hi,

On Montag, 25. Januar 2010, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> When we now start to upload branched packages to lenny and unstable,

first of all, if we need to upload different packages, we really should start
branching... atm i have created a lenny-rc2 branch which I intend to rename
to lenny.

(except for the debian-edu package, which we can IMO upload like we/I used to
upload recently: 0.844 to sid, 0.844+lenny+1 to lenny-test, while keeping
both versions in svn/trunk)

> what version number scheme should we use?
>
> I suggest we use X.YYY~edu.lenny+Z for the packages brached off from
> version X.YYY to go into lenny, and X.YYY for the packages we upload
> to unstable.  For every new package we upload into unstable, we
> increase YYY by one, and for every new package we upload into lenny we
> increase Z by one.

I'm not sure X.YYY~edu.lenny+Z is the right approach, what will happen if
there is an update in lenny proper with X.YYY~lenny+1 versioning?

> This should give us version numbers following the policy on
> <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/ArchivePolicy>, and ensure that
> X.YYY version uploaded to unstable will have higher version numbers
> than the packages uploaded to lenny.  When changes are merged from the
> squeeze branch to the lenny branch, we update the X.YYY part as well
> if all the changes from the squeeze branch were merged into the lenny
> branch.
>
> Anyone got a better idea?

Currently, that is until lenny is released, absolutly nothing should be
uploaded (not even to sid) which isnt suitable for lenny.

then, once our lenny is finally out, we should use the above versioning scheme
and work in trunk and lenny/branches.

cheers,
	Holger