Re: Skolelinux und Ubuntu

I ran into the same problem a couple of weeks ago.
I didn't find a solution but installed 9.04 instead of 9.10.
Haven't tried dist-upgrading the 9.04 to 9.10 yet....

It might have something to do with version differences between the ldap/nscd/pam/nss version in 9.10 and debian etch.

Sebastiaan

Martin Schulte schreef:
Thanks,
no, in the pam_ldap.conf is everything ok, especially it contains "ssl start_tls", also I get ldap_server_pubkey.pem and the slapd-cert.cnf from tjener. But the result is the same. Are you know some other reasons?
Bye, martin

[Martin Schulte]
Hello,
I'm trying to add an Ubuntu-PC to an skolelinux (etch) network using this HowTo: http://wiki.skolelinux.de/Skolelinux/Ubuntu . I did all things, written there, and I also set an link from /etc/ldap.conf to /etc/ldap/ldap.conf (sudo unlink /etc/ldap.conf && sudo ln -s ldap/ldap.conf /etc/ldap.conf ), because Ubuntu 9.10 stores the ldap.conf directly in the /etc/ and not in /etc/ldap/.
After restarting, I run "getent passwd" and I saw all debian-edu users.
After trying su - <username> , password: was prompted. After typing the password, I got the alert: "Authentication failure" I get the same error, when trying login after reboot.
The important lines in the auth.log are (username = mschulte):
-----
Jan 4 21:25:19 rootgym-laptop login[2838]: pam_unix(login:auth): authentication failure; logname=rootgym uid=0 euid=0 tty=/dev/pts/2 ruser= rhost= user=mschulte Jan 4 21:25:19 rootgym-laptop login[2838]: pam_ldap: error trying to bind as user "uid=mschulte,ou=People,dc=skole,dc=skolelinux,dc=no" (Confidentiality required) Jan 4 21:25:21 rootgym-laptop login[2838]: FAILED LOGIN (2) on '/dev/pts/2' FOR 'mschulte', Authentication failure Jan 4 21:25:29 rootgym-laptop login[2838]: pam_ldap: error trying to bind as user "uid=mschulte,ou=People,dc=skole,dc=skolelinux,dc=no" (Confidentiality required) Jan 4 21:25:31 rootgym-laptop login[2838]: FAILED LOGIN (3) on '/dev/pts/2' FOR 'mschulte', Authentication failure
-----
Can somebody help me?

I would suspect your /etc/pam_ldap.conf do not contain 'ssl start_tls'
or the LDAP server SSL certificate is missing in /etc/ldap/ssl/.
Password checks via LDAP require an encrypted LDAP connection, which
is ensured using TLS, and TLS should be configured to check the server
sertificate.  The /etc/init.d/fetch-ldap-cert script is used in
Skolelinux to download the LDAP SSL certificate on the clients.  Note
that the LDAP configuration is intended to be different for NSS and
PAM, where NSS isn't encrypted while PAM is.

This is the current pam_ldap.conf settings in Debian Edu/Lenny:

  tjener:~# grep -v '#' /etc/pam_ldap.conf |sort -u

  base ou=People,dc=skole,dc=skolelinux,dc=no
  host ldap
  ldap_version 3
  pam_filter objectclass=posixAccount
  pam_password exop
  ssl start_tls
tjener:~#
Another Question: Is there a possibility to assign the hostnames automatically?

You mean like /etc/init.d/update-hostname is doing in Skolelinux?

Happy hacking,