Re: Showing welcome web page when users log in, controlled by LDAP

[Petter Reinholdtsen]
> The relevant patch implementing this feature is included below, and I
> welcome input on the approach.

Please have a look at the current Squeeze build at provide input.
Which URL should we show as a welcome page?  Should we use different
URLs for different classes of users.

Since the initial implementation, I've changed the approach a bit.

I've stopped using the root DSE to look up the URL, and instead store
he default URL in the base dn.  Also, I moved the code to find the
page to use to a separate script, and made it possible to replace the
script by setting a variable in /etc/debian-edu/config.  Also, I
changed the lookup method to first look in the users LDAP object, and
then in all parent objects up to and including the base, to allow
different user groups to get different start pages.  The default URL
is still http://www/, but we can send admins, students and teachers to
different URLs if we structure the LDAP tree in a way that put them in
different subtrees.

Ive discovered that in Active Directory, there is an attribute
wwwhomepage in the top object class, which would be perfect for this
use, but I have not been able to locate the schema description for it.

I also found the homepageurl attribute mentioned in
found a schema for that either.

Anyone got any clues?  Better shemas to use or more sensibly named
attributes?  The RFC 2079 attribute labeledURI is working, but its
name is not very descriptive to its purpose.

> At the moment the current implementation use a autostart file to
> load the browser with the URL in question.  It might be better to
> change Firefox to use the URL as its default page or start page
> instead, to ensure the sysadmin can control the default start page
> centrally.  Anyone know if there exist an Firefox extension for
> this, or able to write one?

I still very much welcome feedback on this.

Happy hacking,