Re: Further findings on Print quotas // Re: Pykota

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 12:58:54AM +0200, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
Am Freitag, 1. Juni 2007 schrieb laget sebastiaan:
I was wondering if anyone on the list has experience with print quota or
Pykota in a debian edu environment.

Still wondering...

Searching the web, brought me to these further projects for print quotas
- JasMine, PaperCut (mentioned before)
- a webmin module for print quotas, named pqadmin:
 http://sourceforge.net/projects/pqadmin/
- Cups itself using PageLimit, KLimit, QuotaPeriod etc. - cf.
 http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.2/ref-printers-conf.html
- iserv based on Debian lenny offers a commercial print-module:
 http://iserv.eu/doc/manual/modules/print/ for German schools

Also, it becomes clear that there are three types of print accounting:

A. Limit of Printings per Time Period (like 10 per day, 100 per year)
B. Prepaid/Bonus: An individual balance. Mostly rechargable.
C. Print now, pay later: Mere logging amounts of pages

A. seems to be feasible with CUPs > 1.2
B. needs somebody how does the charging!
C. is most simple and done by many net printers internally, but
  prone to present bad surprieses when billing...

There is also multiple techniques to measure the basis for print quota:

 a) number of pages, as declared in job header
 b) number of pages, as analyzed by actually interpreting the job
 c) approximated amount of toner user

a) can be cheated. A combination of b) and c) best reflect the actual expenses.

I mention it here since you take commercial solutions into account, which is harder to verify by others on this list without hands'on experiences (i.e. don't just trust a sales pitch or advertising).

 - Jonas