Re: Alternative LDAP schema for DNS database (bind9 used by freeipa)

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 01:33:11PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

I asked on #freeipa on freenode, where I hang because I maintain sssd in Debian, about their LDAP schema for storing DNS information in the LDAP database.

This is their schema, and Stephen Gallagher said they are hoping to get it integrated into the upstream bind release.

I mentioned the PowerDNS LDAP schema and the need for a common LDAP schema for both PowerDNS and Bind, and was adviced to talk to Martin Nagy who is the freeipa DNS guy. Perhaps a IETF work group should be formed to come up with a good schema for this?

I have no idea if powerdns can use this schema, but assume it is too different to work without any changes.

Just mentioning it here to make the rest of you aware of this.

Interesting!

Could you maybe (make them) confirm if the following is an
authoritative location of that same draft schema?

http://freeipa.org/page/DNS_Integration_Design

That page also contains some additional notes potentially useful for others diving into the gory details of this issue.

Regards,

 - Jonas