Gearing up the Squeeze development test turnaround time

The last few days, thanks to Holger, Ronny and myself, we have a new
DVD and netinst flavour called squeeze-test, which is using a new
local repository for squeeze packages.  This allow us to speed up the
test cycle, as we can test packages in the installer imediately,
instead of having to wait 10 days for packages uploaded into unstable
to propagate into testing/Squeeze.

The bug in d-i in Squeeze have been worked around in the squeeze-test
builds by uploading a backport of the fixed e2fsprogs package from sid
to squeeze.

Because the new build is named *-test, the automatic testing of the
installation trigger on first boot, and we get to see all the bugs
currently detected by the test suite.

There are several bugs in the LDAP and boot system.  pdns is not
implementing $named, and nslcd do not make sure to start after $named
is available, causing the NSS connection to LDAP to fail for the
main-server installs.

There is also a bug somewhere causing nslcd to fail to contact the
LDAP server if 'tls_reqcert try' is used.  Replacing 'try' with
'never' in /etc/nslcd.conf work around this issue, while causing a
security problem as nslcd no longer verify that it is talking to the
correct LDAP server.  I very much welcome help with this.  I've
commited the workaround, but it is not really a good solution.

I've upladed the svn versions of debian-edu-config and
debian-edu-install for testing, and when we are happy with their
content we should upload to unstable.  Both are waiting for processing
by the ftpmasters.

The DVD is available from
I have only tested the DVD so far, but expect the netinst CD work as
well.

Happy hacking,