Re: GUI to ldap administration

Hey,

> Currently we provide lwat as very simple but also very limited
> GU-interface to ldap. The last upload to Debian happened almost two
> years ago on 2008-03-28, and upstream (in)activity is comparable. A
> lot of wishlist bugs have been filed, patches almost trivially to
> include are in the Debian BTS since ages. To me, it seems as if there
> are no resources left to ensure a minimum of maintenance, not to talk
> about further development and general improvements.
Yes, that's basically correct. My last upload was in 2008, however a new
upload to unstable is planned this month to update it to a more recent
version.

As lwat is a nice approach for administration I would like to see further
active development on upstreams side of the project.

> I consider the administration of the ldap tree as core component of
> our system. Here, the teacher and very limited part-time admin closely
> interacts with the system, here he decides to take the burden of being
> the person responsible for it. If I look at the lwat login screen now,
> it welcomes me with typos in the text and a copyright notice from
> 2007; all in all not very encouraging.
You're right, the shape of the package is not very good currently. However
this can change. Typos are no huge act and as you mentioned that you've seen
them, would you please send me a patch, that would be nice. :)

> I think we need either to reactivate development and maintenance of
> lwat and manage to ensure this in the long term, or we need to
> find alternatives, evaluate these and decide to support a solution
> with active and reliable upstream. Without any further analysis I
> heard about gosa, CipUX, perhaps webmin can be repackaged [1] or
> phpLDAPadmin extended, ... no idea.
I've looked 4 years ago on webmin, upstream doesn't care a lot about security
concerns and in my eyes it's not suitable for debian at all. As far as I know
this hasn't changed within this 4 years, therefore webmin is no solution here.

gosa.. it's a fine and mature  tool, however faaaaar to huge for us in my eyes.