Re: Wishlist for features in Skolelinux

El lun, 25-01-2010 a las 02:02 +0100, Ole Anders Andreassen escribió:
> The last days I have been aware of the fact that there is to little
> communication between users (teachers at schools) and delvelopers. So I
> thought I should present my wishlist for features in future Skolelinux.
>
> - A netbook version of skolelinux
> - WiFi-controller based on wrt-hardware

> - An easy way to freez all screens in a classroom. One button
> - Exam-mode, where communication, internet and so on, is blocked.
> - Send message to all users, or group of users.

These three last features (and some more) are already available using
ControlAula, which is available in Debian, and I've been using in
Extremadura schools for the last 6 years. Since the last year it works
with thin clients too (I haven't tested it with diskless clients).

http://www.itais.net/en/index.html

> - More than 50 static adresses for workstations (why is there a limit)

I don't see this limit. In fact, in Extremadura schools there are a lot
more of static addresses.

> - Print quota
> - A way to use the amount of free diskspace on "diskless workstations".
> (they are sold with harddisk most of them)

I would say, more than a way, finding something useful to do with it. We
use some of them to do and update Debian mirrors in the night, so the
package installation is done from the LAN, saving bandwith and doing it
much faster.

> - Digital signage app (info screen) that runs on the server.
> - Wii whiteboard, or something similar.
>
> What is your wishlist, or vision?

I would add,
- some tools to make content creation and distribution easier for the
teachers, even for those teachers that are not real content creators,
but sometimes like to do a Powerpoint (TM) creation. Personally, I like
the idea behind www.exelearning.org, but technically that application is
not usable in Debian, as its sources are a total mess, and the
application development has ended. Its interface is really easy to use,
for teachers with few technical knowledge and for users who like to go a
step forward to do good contents. Also, it exports to scorm, which
allows it make contents that are easily integrated in other tools, like
moodle.
- Move more educative applications and tools to the browser: my
impression in the last years is that we've worked hard to give a lot of
educative application, with an excellent selection of them for more
subjects, but teachers don't use them very much because they are not
integrated, have different interfaces, some of them are not easy to use,
and people trend to search in Google and prefer to use some web pages,
as that interface is much more familiar to them.

My 20 cts.
José L.