Re: Idea for simple LTSP cluster out of the box

Petter Reinholdtsen schrieb:
If I am not mistaken, ldm support multiple servers listed in its
LDM_SERVER configuration variable.  We could use this to provide a
LTSP cluster solution out of the box with a trivial change to the
current configuration.

All LTSP servers on the network are expected to be a member of the
ltsp-server netgroup in LDAP.  If this is the case, we can fill the
LDM_SERVER variable at run time with the content from this netgroup,
and LDM will then pick the first server in the list.  If we make sure
to randomize the list or order it based on load or something like
that, we would have a load balancing LTSP cluster out of the box.

I was floating this idea some years ago in
Perhaps time to make this a default feature?

But that would only work out of the box in the 10.0.2.0/23 net for now, right?

And the result would be that the nfs chroot is taken from one server, and ldm would connect to another?

Regards,
--
 .''`.   Philipp Hübner <debalance@debian.org>
: :'  :  pgp fp: 6719 25C5 B8CD E74A 5225  3DF9 E5CA 8C49 25E4 205F