Re: LTSP 5 Sound + Bandwidth

> Dear list,
>
> I am glad to have the Lenny LTSP up and running with sound and USB
> (media showing up in /media/$HOSTNAME).

I'm disappointed that USB drives still don't pop up. I was under the
impression that they would.

> As there is no built in speakers at our thin clients/screens, and only
> occasional headphones are used (sockets on the rear), I wonder if it is
> a good idea letting LTSP doodle all the time - loosing control over
> bandwidth usage. Untis we get 1 GB uplink, it might be wiser to disable
> sound, what do you advise?

I added
SOUND_DAEMON = pulse
to lts.conf, and now have quite a lot of sound working, though not the
hard core apps like rosegarden and audacity. However, Gcompris plays an
annoying little tune that I was unaware of until now, and I can use amarok
to play tunes. Kaffeine also works now (use to crash every time in etch),
playing sound and video.
The only thing lacking for me (never mind the "serious" sound apps for
now) is sound in flash. I wish that would work, because its the sound I
most need.

School hasn't started yet, but my thin clients are booting much faster
thanks to faster NICs in two of my servers (thanks Jose) so I'm hopeful
that sound will not slow things down too much. Let's see.

nigel