Re: Debian for rural Peru - (was re: From Puno - Peru)

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 07:23:13PM +0100, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
>El dom, 04-01-2009 a las 18:23 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard escribió:
>> On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 05:46:36PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>> >[Jonas Smedegaard]

[details on what sugar profile installs snipped]

>> What benefit do you see in using Debian-edu as opposed to Debian as
>> starting point if not interested in the server infrastructure?
>>

>Sebastian said at the beginning of this thread that he was working in
>workstation + server, so if he needs a server and a workstation, Debian
>Edu seems to be a good starting point.

Indeed. But what server? Debian-edu mainserver? LTSP server (perhaps for
Sugar desktops only)? XS server (to support Sugar on XOs and on Debian)?

Sorry that my question was unclear:

What benefit do you see in using Debian-edu as opposed to Debian as
starting point if not interested in the server infrastructure _which_
_Debian-edu_ _provides_?

I do not say that Debian-edu is unusable for Sebastian. I attempt to
clarify situations that I believe it is not the most optimal.

Debian-edu is a by design a specific distribution which is great when it
is great, and usable but suboptimal for other purposes.

Debian is by design a universal distribution which is seldom great in
itself, but often is the best choice as basis for Blends (pure or not).

My suggestion to Sebastian (in private, last week) was to use as much as
possible from Debian-edu, adapt, and make the result a Pure Blend. If
"as much as possible" turns out to be none, all, none by default and
cherry-pick, or all by default and revert some, is for him to decide.

We can help him by clarifying the benefits and constraints of
Debian-edu.

We can also just tell him to start out with Debian-edu no matter what is
his agenda (if only it is related to "education"). But I honestly
believe that such approach is lousy!

  - Jonas

- --