Re: Limited login// Re: Access control by host and user //Re: time control for remote ssh/sftp access

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 11:28:31AM +0100, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
User lib01 (in ldap) should only be allowed to login from static50 (10.0.2.100) - a semi-public accessible machine in our library. Especially, the anonymous account lib01 should not be used from within a class lab.

The more I think about it, I feel there is a seperate solution for
different protocols/profiles:

For LTSP, it's not a big deal to block user lib01 in Xsession, I think. For workstations, it might get a bit harder, but possibly lib01 could get a .profile script closing the session if run from the wrong host.

For Samba clients, there might be a way either in login.bat or in smb.conf to restrict login to specific hosts.

But as all kind of protocols/profiles log to auth.log, pam could still be a central point of blocking...

PAM is ok when we talk about static rules. My earlier talk about firewall setup was only due to your (earlier) request for time-based rules.

Dot-files are bad to use for this: They are editable by the user herself so can be circumvented! For Xsession (if you want to use that) add scripts below /etc/X11/Xsession.d (or something like that) instead.

Regards,

 - Jonas