Re: Getting an edubuntu workstation to log-on to a skolelinux server successfully via LDAP

2009/10/22 tlang80@gmail.com <tlang80@gmail.com>

I have been more successful with getting Ubuntu on individual machines, and I like the way their desktop is organized, but you can only log-in with thin or fat clients (LDAP has to be setup on its own), BUT I think the debian server is far better and has more capabilities out of the box, like LDAP and samba support.  It'd be nice if Edubuntu and Skolelinux got together to really make a powerful system for school computer labs.

I have asked for this several times on both lists. Edubuntu people are not interested in using tjener. Instead they have various scripts and howto that get them close to emulating tjener.  To be honest, I am of the opinion that since debian started being released more frequently, the advantages of edubuntu on the desktop are not great, and I no longer have any edubuntu installations in school. A few years ago all my workstations were edubuntu and I had them authenticating against tjener, but it was unreliable. Now (last year I bought some dell minis with ubuntu) I can't get it to work, like you.
So I have plain Lenny or Sidux on machines that won't install skolelinux. Its relatively easy to get them integrated into the network, though there are some problems still and its easier for you if you can somehow get skolelinux lenny installed on your computers.

There is a change you have to make on your etch tjener. Without it, no 'alien' workstations will work, not even skolelinux lenny. In fact try it out with edubuntu. Scroll down to the part about bind.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/Upgrades

cheers
nigel