LTSP localapps

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 10:56:31AM +0200, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
> Local Apps is a LTSP, with thin clients where some applications can be
> run by the thin client instead of by the server.

specifically, LTSP Localapps was a feature introduced to upstream LTSP shortly
after the lenny freeze, and thus isn't present in the ltsp versions in lenny.
though José managed to figure out a way to hack it into lenny, more or less.

simply put, it allows you to run selective applications on the thin client
itself, while most applications run on the server. thus, it's a hybrid approach
between "diskless workstations" and traditional thin clients.

it mounts the server's home directory on the thin client using sshfs, and adds
the user locally to the thin client (in a rather hackish, ugly way) for the
duration of the session.

> http://www.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/LocalApps is an entry about them
> but it's not updated and it has much information about ltsp 4. I'll look
> for some tutorial on how using it on lTSP 5. Maybe Vagrant knows if such
> tutorial exists.

there isn't much in the way of tutorials on how to use it. a description of the
various lts.conf options from the current lts-parameters.txt:

LOCAL_APPS          boolean                  True
LOCAL_APPS_MENU     boolean                  False           Make local applications appear/override items
                                                             in desktop menu
LOCAL_APPS_MENU_ITEMS  comma-delimited list  unset           Only make the specified applications
                       of application names                  appear/override items in desktop menu
                       as they appear in the
                       .desktop filename
LOCAL_APPS_WHITELIST list of commands        unset           Use to allow only specified space-separated
                                                             commands to be run as local apps, allow all
                                                             is default if unset
                                                             Full-paths are required for each command.
                                                             No spaces in names are allowed.

LOCAL_APPS_MENU* features use XDG settings to alter menu entries; this works
great for GNOME (and for newer versions of LXDE), but i don't know about other
desktop environments.

otherwise, you manually can start applications from the commandline by
prepending with the ltsp-localapps command.

live well,
  vagrant