Re: Widen LTSP uplink / Re: ltsp hardware again

El sáb, 15-08-2009 a las 11:10 +0200, Klaus Ade Johnstad escribió:
> Lørdag 15. august 2009 10:56, skrev José L. Redrejo Rodríguez:
> > We're using it in Extremadura to run the web browser when flash is
> > used
>
> Do you have a mechanism in place that selectivly launches the browser as
> local-apps or on the server, depending on wheter you view a page with
> flash or not?

More or less ;)

> Or did I read that sentence wrong, you run the browser as local-apps all
> the time?

Not: it's a simple, maybe stupid mechanism, but it works.

The menu launchers, and icon launchers in the desktop start iceweasel as
a local app.
But, mime types start iceweasel in the LTSP server.

The explanation is:

- Usually, when the user wants to browse the web, he uses the launcher.
The web is full of crappy flash animations, so there we want him to use
iceweasel as a localapp

- Usually, when the user clicks on a local html file (local in his
desktop or local through a shared folder in the local network), is to
use a "controlled" web page, placed there by a teacher or by us, so we
prefer him to launch iceweasel in the LTSP server. Local apps allow the
user to see his home in the thin client, but not the whole LTSP server
filesystem. We have several shared folders (for the classroom, for the
subject and for the school) that are NFS mounted. These folders are not
visible in the thin client when running local apps, but are visible in
the LTSP server that mountes them. So, for these cases, we don't want to
start iceweasel as a localapp, or the user won't see these folders.

In an ideal world, a script might change from localapp to server
executed iceweasel when browsing and detecting flash, or maybe ,
detecting the browser is using more than 30% of the server CPU. But this
is not so easy, as it would require to kill one iceweasel session to
start a new one. Iceweasel doesn't allow two instances running in
different places with the same user. I.E. if you're running iceweasel as
a localapp and tries to start a new window in the server, it will run as
local app too. The same happens in the other case.
So, thatr's why we've decided to use this behaviour. Up to now, it's
working pretty well.

Regards.
José L.