handling of http://www files (was Re: r58528 - trunk/src/debian-edu-config/sbin)

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 07:49:31AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > Modified: trunk/src/debian-edu-config/sbin/debian-edu-pxeinstall
...snip...
> >  # Where the preseed file is on the disk.
> > -preseedfile=/var/www/debian-edu-install.dat
> > +preseedfile=/usr/share/debian-edu-config/www/debian-edu-install.dat
>
> Eh, this would make the script modify a file in /usr/share/ which
> would be overwritten when d-e-config is upgraded.  It is a bad idea.

while i agree that it's not a very good place for it, it's not part of the
package, so it won't get overwritten any more than it did before.

which brings up a related point that i've noticed while trying to get rid of
these /var/www lintian errors...

the index.html.* files we ship as part of debian-edu-config include text that
encourages someone to edit those files to customize them, however, they would
be silently overwritten on upgrades.

if we want to encourage editing of them, we should probably put them in /etc/
as conffiles, or set up templates that are copied somewhere editable and are
part of standard backups (both of which have their drawbacks with upgrades).

all that said, if folks are really unhappy with the moving stuff out of
/var/www, i can of course revert the changes.

live well,
  vagrant