Re: ltsp features to backport

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 05:36:11PM -0800, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> we could possibly ship backported ltsp packages, though some of the
> features could just be worked around by hooking into other packages.
>
>   ltsp-client: Generate unique hostname when reverse DNS lookup fail:
>   http://bugs.debian.org/483760
>
> very easy to just hook into initramfs-tools by dropping a file into
> /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/nfs-bottom/

not quite sure what debian-edu package to put this into, if any.

would it make sense to make a debian-edu-thin-client package? in
addition to package-level configurations specific to debian-edu such as
the above feature, it would also simplify some of the debian-edu
specific ltsp-build-client plugins as a nice side-effect; required
packages could be handled with dependencies rather than hard-coded into
the plugins.

>   the progressbar on ltsp-client-builder has more than two steps, so it
>   doesn't immediately jump to 50% and then appear to hang...
>
> this would have to be backported into a package, or at least a replacement
> .udeb and just drop a hook into ltsp-server's directory structure.

i've committed in debian-edu-config svn an ltsp-build-client plugin that should
work, but would still need to figure out a way to handle the
ltsp-client-builder udeb. the simplest idea would be to create a source package
that just had the ltsp-client-builder udeb based on the packages currently in
experiental. or is there a way to pull a single udeb from experimental?

also committed to debian-edu-artwork svn some improvements to the debian-edu
ldm theme that should make it look a little nicer.

live well,
  vagrant