[Fwd: Re: flash n java]

sorry, replied to Bjarne instead of list.

Bjarne Nielsen wrote:
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 08:56:28 +0100, nigel barker <tech@hiroshima-is.ac.jp> wrote:
I don't think I'm doing anything different from all the other installs
over the past year or more (I admit most on i686, but for sure several
amd64). Has something changed?

But are you sure you installed the 64 bit version, or did you perhaps install i386 on amd64? You can install using i386 on both i686 and amd64, but if you install 64 bit, there is a lot of packages not in the main repositories.
You are good Bjarne - you know my level! I have never chosen the arch, I just let the installer do its stuff. The last two installs have come out 64bit, but now I check the older 64 bit machines they have i686. Why would that happen? Anyway, I'm glad it did.

Thanks for the other replies, folks. Jose, since I have only 4G RAM I'm not going to follow up your idea, (which would be a struggle for me anyway) but I am excited about those things happening by magic in future releases.

nigel