RE: Diskless Workstation - impossible to install

Thanks Vagrant:

Vagrant Cascadian  Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:15 PM
> something else must be broken with your DHCP setup, then.
> there isn't any magic to network booting a thin client vs. a
> diskless workstation.
> how would it work for one but not the other?
	Thanks for pointing that out, I believed it had something to do with
the way ltsp handles thin-clients and do some forwarding on their behalf.
Turns out you were absolutely right, the root-path option in my dhcpd.conf
was:
     option root-path "10.0.2.2:/opt/ltsp/i386";
Which apparently didn't make sense to nfsmount, setting this to:
     option root-path "/opt/ltsp/i386";
Made it redundant at "/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.cfg/default".

I should mention that this line was introduced to
"/etc/dhcp3/dhcpd-stateless-debian-edu.conf" by a script "ltsp-make-client"
and the file dhcpd.conf is merely  a symlink to
"dhcpd-stateless-debian-edu.conf"

> > Would it be appropriate to file a bug against ltsp-update-kernels in
> > this case?
>
> take a look at /usr/share/doc/ltsp-server/FAQ "How do i
> configure boot prompt options" and http://bugs.debian.org/428446
	Thanks, particular and informative answer, especially the bug
report.
I run standard debian-edu installation with
'ltsp-server_0.99debian12+0.0.edu.etch.9', therefore the "How do I configure
boot prompt options" is not on the FAQ, but is available at
http://wiki.debian.org/LTSP/FAQ.

That brought up the question whether it would be beneficial to upgrade to
Lenny or to Sid?
As this is not a 'production' server and is only for studying the system
(may be help with development later).

Odd.