Re: Diskless Workstation - impossible to install

Hi Valerio,
I'm not proficient with these matters, but since I had similar problems I thought I'd may be able to help by just describing my own experience:

DON'T PRESS Ctrl+C, It will abort the script altogether.
When I ran the script ltsp-make-client, I too had no apparent activity for a long time so I did press ^-C, just once, I had no opportunity to press it a second or more times.
Then I restored the files using tar and ran the script again using:
'sh -x /usr/sbin/ltsp-make-client | tee /var/tmp/ltsp-make-client.log' in order to make sure it runs in dash and to have it logged. I left it to boil overnight. When I woke up in the morning SURPRISE, It works.

Be very patient, a cup of coffee won't do the trick, you gotta go to sleep or to work, my logs showed it took some 3 hours or more to complete and there was no output after the first couple of minuts.

Few more words about my installation:
I use no virtualization to avoid the extra complexity and the uncertainty as to the source of problems.
I started with a non functioning ltsp on a main+ltsp server, so I ran debian-edu-ltsp, to get it going.
Before running ltsp-make-client I installed the extra packages: sitesummary-client, debian-edu-artwork, debian-edu-archive-keyring, ltspfsd. debian-edu-artwork brings a lot of stuff with it including kdm which replaces ldm and stops the thin-clients from logging in at the gui (VT-7).

It may be helpful to add a mirror or two at /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/apt/sources.list, a missing file on a mirror during the initial installation was the reason why my ltsp was nonfunctional to begin with.

I'm :-( I didn't help you at the other thread, maybe this time ;-)
Odd.