Cooperation with Openstreetmap.org?

Dear list,

during the past week, I happily gathered
new insights about geomatics, GPS, mapping, GPX,
and Openstreetmaps.org (OSM).

For 5 days, our school could use 10 Garmin GPS devices,
provided by OSM, and students contributed eagerly to
this FOSS project. Very nice!

Now, I wonder if anybody (Petter?) has even deeper insights into
the bowels of OSM and could tell, if it was possible to
install a virtual layer onto OSM in order to render our
test school maps? Couldn't we introduce a new class of POIs
that is only shown when adding a specific parameter to OSM's URL?

This could rid us from the need to maintain our maps manually.

What do you think?
Just a though - before 10 days of of leisure...

Kind regards
Ralf

P.S.: For those reading German (or sticking to pictures), try
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Geomatik-Projekt-Borgholzhausen
(for now follow the link to the German Skolelinux Wiki).