Q&A - Souk of Tweaks

Dear list,

I just found out that nullidentd is installed by default.
However, I found no running process - hence I doubt it can
be used right away for authentication with squid?

Today, some machines have been compromised (hardware issue).
I am using scripts to single out users that might have witnessed this
issue:

# file: ltsp-show-list-of-last-users.sh
echo Latest user for any LTSP client

cat /var/log/auth.log |grep "session opened" |grep ltsp0 |cut -f6 "-d "|
cut "-d:" -f1 |sort -u >>/tmp/ltspclients

while read myLine
  do
    echo $myLine:`cat /var/log/auth.log |grep "session opened" |grep
$myLine |cut "-d " -f1-3,12 |tail`
  done </tmp/ltspclients

---------
I am quite aware that there is a conflict between privacy and
responsiblity - however, this is just collecting what "last" returns
anyway.

In case you have better scripts also listing Samba users - please share!

BTW: Redbully gave me a hint how to paste a single file in a way where
any set of 2 subsequent lines will be joined to one single line? Like:

echo -e "a\nb\nc\nd\ne\nf\n" |
\ awk -v ORS='' '{ print; getline; print; print "\n"; }'

Cheers
Regards
Ralf