Re: cfengine-what can it do?

Holger Levsen skrev:
> Hi Finn-Arne,
>
> On Saturday 13 September 2008 03:24, Finn-Arne Johansen wrote:
>>> you can also look at the FAI system for keeping your machines in a
>>> configured state.
>> Or you can use ocsinventory for this.
>
> To update configuration (and not only for inventory)? How does it (roughly)
> work? Does it use cfengine/fai/puppet too or another invention of wheels? :)

Depends on what we want to achieve. With Ocs we can deploy a package.
this package can be a tar-ball to be stored on the client, or a command
to be executed, or a combination of both. I can for example create a
shell script that are to edit /etc/hosts on all (or just one or a few)
machines. The big benefit is that I don't need to log onto each client,
to deploy anything. The machines will itself find out that there is
things to do, and I can log in to ocs, and see how many has gotten which
fix (or package). So you could use it to deploy a cfengine script, and
then run it. or it can be used to deploy lets say bindkeys and some
other stuff on a number of clients, using either aptitude, or dpkg (your
choice...)

// faj