Re: Viable Alternative

Hi Dan,

We use debian-edu from age 4 to 18. There are plenty of activities for younger children already included, which we supplement with Internet sites such as BBC schools.

There is a lack of a simple and friendly word-processor to match the nice painting programs. Such a thing doesn't seem to exist on Linux, so we have to use Open Office or Abiword. The kids seem to manage ok.

And you won't be able to run any of your CD-roms, either.

For my school the benefits outweigh the last two points, but for an infant school it might be different.

nigel

Dan wrote:
Hi All,
I'm the chair of the Parents/Student organization at the infant
school (5,6 and 7 year olds) that my son attends. The school is, as
most schools are, pretty tight for money and the school system
spends a lot on microsoft stuff.

What I'm wondering, given that the children need bascially an
alphabet program, some basic math, learning their colours and such,
would debian-edu be a viable alternative to windows?

Any information would be greatfully appreciated,

Kind Regards,
Dan