Re: Flash, Youtube and Thin Clients

Am Mittwoch 03 September 2008 schrieb Klaus Ade Johnstad:
> The alternative that we are forced with if they do not agree to this
> simple request: We must disable the plugin on our terminal servers in
> order to protect the stability of our networks.

Dear Warren,

thank you for your appropriate approach.
Of course you may list us as well.

There are some flash movie hosters that are blocked anyway by our squid.
This is not the case for Youtube. With 14 thin clients and 100Mbit
network, we can still handle the traffic - but this might look
different when you have more clients and they are spread over several
rooms.

Some "hooks" that might enrich your argumentation:
- There is already switches to disable mic or cam
  (mainly for security reasons) - this could be extended.
- Another option could be some bandwidth throtteling
  rather than blocking movies in general.
- I don't know if bandwith could be reduced any further
  (I am observing the opposite development)
- As I consider that it is a matter of the X protocol
  by what rate frames are transfered to thin clients
  (better compression with NX or x2go?): How about
  limitting the maximum dimension of such movie viewers?

Kind regards
Ralf