Re: Changing clients to automatically find their proxy?

Am Dienstag 01 Juli 2008 schrieb Petter Reinholdtsen:
> I recently discovered that both Konqueror and Firefox have an proxy
> setting for automatically finding the proxy configuration.  This seem
> to be called "Web Access Protocol Discovery" by KDE.

It think we are using this since 3.0. But indeed, at least Firefox is
not preconfigured to use auto-detection. Version 2 of Firefox however
has an annoying bug slowing down surfing in auto-mode:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs#Hang_loading_websites_when_using_an_automatic_proxy_configuration_file

For this reason I plea to doublecheck the current version in Lenny for
this issue before switching to auto-proxy.

As for Konqueror, there is another issue: The default settings for the
java path (/usr/bin/java or just java) are displayed correctly in the
settings dialog, but not used unless you do a change and click OK. Only
then they are written to the config files and used! I found a way to
make Konqueror Java capable from the first usage (provided the user has
no local config file, but with *I*/kiosk mode this could be set
globally):

Add these lines either locally in  ~/.kde/share/config/konquerorrc or
globally in /etc/kde3/konquerorrc :

[Java/JavaScript Settings]
AppletServerTimeout=60
ECMADomains=