Re: Stress test in ltsp

Hi JL Redrejo,

since you are plenty of ram and it looks like you don't have much trouble with
CPU I strongly recommend you using XEN with ltsp servers, for several
reasons:

1.- By separating the base system+ltsp , the desktop and the storage unit, in
3 differen virtual machines, you get a better maintenance aproach.
2.- You can update the desktop using debian edu without worrying about ltsp
3.- you can give the chance in the future to teachers to have web apps or
other services in the same server
4.- Yoy can move the storage unit to another server in the future if it is
necesary
5.- You can use more than one distro in the classroom. (or more than one
version of a distro) by placing anothe virtual machine. Sometimes computer
labs are used for different purposes.
6.- If your ltsp or base system changes (you go for ltsp 5 or 6 :)), you just
have to install another virtual machine and erase the old one, instead of
updating the one you have with the desktop or the storage unit on it. When
you have thousands of servers, this is much easier, you already know that.
7.- You can control ram and disk assignment to each system/service easily. You
can also get to different desktops through different networks.

For example, since the server is always on, you can place two different
desktops, one for kids and another one for teachers (or other kids) in the
same machine. They can access to them simultaneously without interferences.
I've always imagined the ltsp server placed on the school's cpd. It is utopic
yet because of bandwith problems but it is the idea: ltsp as a desktop
server, treated like any other central service.

Our experience with debian or centos + xen + ltsp is satisfactory, if you have
enough ram.

Bye and good luck. Big ltsp deployments in Extremadura will make a difference
so other spanish regions will use it.

--
Agustín Benito Bethencourt
Director de Ejerccios Resueltos SLU