OO java problem

Dear All,
I am trying to use the form wizard in OOobase, but pressing the Finish button on the wizard does nothing. Launching from a console shows that a java exception is occurring. I really need the form wizard with my grade 8 class. Forms by hand is really hard for them.
This is from thin clients on a fully up-to-date ltspserver.

I tried to install the latest OOo 2.4 debs from the OOo website, but it won't install, saying that "openoffice-bundled" is already installed and conflicts.
I uninstalled OOo from the ltspserver, but it didn't help.

I don't want to make OOo/linux look crappy and broken with my class. I tried kexi, but it crashes about every 10 mins.

What would be the next thing to try?

thanks,

nigel