Re: Skolelinux course projects

Nils Damm Christophersen wrote:

Hello Skolelinux developers,

At the Department og informatics, University of Oslo we are starting a course this spring INF5907OSI - Open source and innovation - http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/ifi/INF5907OSI/index.xml. The course includes student projects, and Petter Reinholdtsen tells me that Skolelinux might be able to provide projects at different levels. We do not know the background of the students yet but it is certainly of interest to be able to offer the them projects from Skolelinux. Working in groups of 2-3, the students should be able to accomplish something in 4-5 weeks.

If you think this is of interest, please respond back within the first week of January,

Best regards,

Nils Christophersen

Not yet subscribing to debian-edu@lists.debian.org

in a do-ocracy it's allways hard to answer such questions. since there is no tradition to delegate assignements around like that. And there are nobody "in charge" to do the assigning. But since i feel that you deserved a reply, I gave it a shot.

Ideas for tasks that come to my mind, given the limited nature of a "project" are

[1: translations] Easy to get started, useful. but perhaps not technical in nature. [2: writing documentation] requires learning the usage of skolelinux and writing about it in english [3: programming job] trying to implement a new spesific feature, from the wishlist bugs or the roadmap [4: fix some spesific bug] There are allways issues left to resolve. The trick is to find a suiteable bug to work on for a project.
[5: other] there are also many other ways to contribute to skolelinux.

Further discussion with skolelinux developers can be had realtime on irc at #debian-edu on the irc server irc.debian.org, or on this mailinglist you allready know.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Contribute/Translation
[2] http://wiki.skolelinux.no/DebianEdu/Documentation/Etch/Contribute
[3] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/roadmap
[4] http://bugs.skolelinux.no/buglist.cgi?product=Skolelinux&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED