Re: Some notes on multimedia support in iceweasel

[Jonas Smedegaard]
> So NRL use WMF-encapsulated ASF-encoded MMS streams, it seems.  I
> believe such encapsulation does not use MIME hints, so even if you
> find MIME codes for same codecs the way NRL distributes does not use
> them.

I found the problem with the kaffine-mozilla plugin.  The module got
the URL in an argument it did not handle (#490723).  I uploaded a fix,
and now it work.

> I suspect that script to only tell wht the plugins _claim_ to support.
>
> What they actually support - and with what quality, and depending on
> which resources (eg. very fast computer, 32-bit intel CPU or GL)
> probably needs detailed testing as you've bagun already.

Sure.  :)

I've tested kaffeine-mozilla and mozilla-mplayer most, and with the
latest patches, kaffeine-mozilla seem to handle most of the pages on
<URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/BrowserMultimedia> (only
filmarkivet do not work), while mozilla-mplayer fail to work with tv2,
aftenposten and filmarkivet.  vlc seem to be the only player working
with filmarkivet, but it fail on most other pages.

The question I try to answer is which plugin should we include by
default in the next version of Skolelinux, and I believe we should
pick the one that work with most pages (or the pages that are most
important to schools), and preferably one that embedd the video in the
page.  The two best options seem to be kaffeine-mozilla and
mozilla-mplayer, but I am not sure which of these we should choose.

Any opinions?

Happy hacking,