Re: first programming language

2008/4/8, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez <jredrejo@edu.juntaextremadura.net>:

>  El mar, 08-04-2008 a las 13:28 +0200, Miriam Ruiz escribió:
>
>  > If he's really willing to make some effort to learn, I'd probably go
>  > for Python. If he's interested in developing physical simulations,
>  > games, or something like that, he might want to go for PyGame, while
>  > Python can also be used for system administration, and it has a clean
>  > and nice syntax and a more or less easy learning curve.
>
> I think that for that age Tweak (http://tweakproject.org/, a Squeak
>  evolution) or Scratch (http://scratch.mit.edu/) are the best option.
>  They are really powerful graphical languages that will let him
>  understand many of the usual abstractions when programming. It will let
>  him doing very powerful things without needing to fight against typos or
>  wasting time searching where he forgot a ;. Scratch is specially thought
>  for teenagers with a lot of "attractive" graphical and sounds effects.

That might be an option too, but 13 years is not really that young. I
started programming in BASIC when I was 10. I think an average 13 year
old would be able to learn python. In any case, it's an option too.

>  Even e-Toys on Squeak can still be usefull as a first step, as it's
>  thought for people of more than 6 years old.

The good thing about Python or similar, depending on the child's
attitude towards learning, is that it's a real language that it is
really used for real things (games, web development, system
administration, science). For a teenager, even a young one, it
encourages you to know that you're using real tools instead of
just-for-children toys. At least it's how I felt then. The best option
might depend on the children. I'm not sure I would give a 13 yo a
system developed for an 8 yo, anyway. He can read it as "I don't
consider you adult enough". In any case, Python is not that difficult.

I would personally select 2 or 3 options, show their pros and cons to
the children (for a 13 yo, that is, I wouldn't do that for an 8 yo)
and let them choose themselves, anyway, explaining clearly what can be
expected from each of them in terms of effort and results. Squeak
might be one of the options too, maybe Gambas would also be a
possibility.

Greetings,
Miry