Re: r40186 - trunk/src/debian-edu-install/debian

Hi,

On Sunday 03 February 2008 11:21, sep-guest@alioth.debian.org wrote:
> Author: sep-guest
> Date: 2008-02-03 10:21:53 +0000 (Sun, 03 Feb 2008)
> New Revision: 40186
>
> Modified:
>    trunk/src/debian-edu-install/debian/changelog
>    trunk/src/debian-edu-install/debian/debian-edu-profile-udeb.templates
> Log:
>  * make users think a bit more about the popcon question

more exactly (from the changelog):

> +  * Trying to get users to actualy read, and think about, the popcon
> +    questioni. By removing the default selection for our popcon question.

I dont support this change as I think it might lead to a confusing user
experience during installation. Normaly we try to minimize choice and provide
sane defaults, under the assumption, that choice lets to confusion (and to
ease installation).

Not sending popcon data is a sane default (from the users POV, even though we
would like to get more data how Debian Edu is used.)

Also the text in the template is inaccurate and/or misleading. It talks
about "anonymous" data reports to popcon, without stating that this might not
be anonymous at all, depending whether you have a fixed IP or not.

So I suggest to revert this change and default to "no" again.

regards,
	Holger