Re: Q: Re-compile/-place LTSP kernel

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 12:48:07PM +0100, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> I need to update the kernel of LTSP in order to support
> my thin clients' 3com NIC.

what version of ltsp are you using?

the version that comes with debian-edu's LTSP just uses the standard
debian kernel; most if not all network cards supported by debian should
be supported without configuration.

do you know what module it needs?

> First research led me to
> http://www.nabble.com/dist-upgrade-of-chroot-td15002023.html

for a variety of reasons, including very inacurate responses, and
significant differences between versions of ltsp on gutsy and
debian-edu, i wouldn't spend much time on that page.

> Did anybody try this before - or can point me to a valid HOWto?

basically, someting like this:

 # add network card for your module:
 $editor /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/initramfs-tools/modules
 chroot /opt/ltsp/i386
 mount -t proc proc proc
 apt-get update
 apt-get dist-upgrade