Re: Questions to understund ITALC

[Valerio Pachera]
> I've been able to run Italc on debian-edu 3.0 and take the control
> of a thinclient but there samething working not as aspected on the
> script that call ica daemon.
> May you anser these questions?
>
> 1-if I'm working on a thinclient, how can I know my IP ?

I'm not sure, but try 'echo $ESPEAKER' or 'w'.

> 2-
> On the server
>   echo $DISPLAY --> :0.0

This is the local display on the server.

> On the client
>   echo $DISPLAY --> localhost:10.0

This is a remote display on the client, tunneled over ssh.

> reading the german wiki ti should return a string with
> $thiclient_hostname:10.0, in my case "ltsp250:10.0" instead of
> "localhost".  wiki http://italc.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=ITALC_in_un_ambiente_ThinClient

This was correct before the display was tunneled over ssh.

> 3-the comand echo $DISPLAY gives different resault if it's executed
> on the server or on the client, /sbin/ifconfig doesn't. Why? When
> does a command "feel" to be runned on the thinclient and when on the
> server?

Because each client have a different tunnel back to itself, while
ifconfig give the values for the server.

> 4-How can I now all the thinclient IP connected to the server?

Perhaps '/sbin/arp -a' give you something useful?  Or '/sbin/showmount'?

As you probably can see from my comments, I have never tried to do
what you are trying. :)

Happy hacking,