Re: Upgrading WS from Sarge: 2.5 options

Am Dienstag 16 Oktober 2007 15:51 schrieb Ronny Aasen:

Hi Ronny,

thanks for your reply - it is quite helpful. Just few questions are
left:

> > As for option 2, I wonder if there is any boot options to prevent
> > Grub from being used? Does usplash work with lilo as well? The boot
> > loader needs to fit to one sector, I am afraid.
>
> any boot option you set might be reset by the preseeding, you can try
> to chaneg the preseeding files default.* before selecting a profile.
> they use the regular preseeding values.  examples for lilo and grub
> are in http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/example-preseed.txt

Mh, this means, during installation, I switch to a busybox and change
some default.* like this:

### Boot loader installation
# Grub is the default boot loader (for x86). If you want lilo installed
# instead, uncomment this:
#d-i grub-installer/skip boolean true
# To also skip installing lilo, and install no bootloader, uncomment
this
# too:
#d-i lilo-installer/skip boolean true

Right?

> > As for option 3, I now installed a 2nd LTSP server (Etch). However,
> > I don't have a combo-Server, and my Tjener is one year old (Sarge).
> > Now I wonder what network topology could be used to support both
> > systems on those machines: w2k via Samba (10.0.x.x) and diskless
> > 'lowfat' clients.
> >
> > I remember some posting that it is possible sticking DHCP services
> > to my Tjener, but providing tftp/pxe boot (on demand) from another
> > machine. Any howtos available?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Ralf
>
> On our windows/diskless dualboot machines, we have a list of mac
> addresses on the dhcp on tjener, those that are in that list get tftp
> information to  pxelinux from the diskless server.
> The diskless server display a pxelinux meny with the choise of local
> harddrive windows and diskless workstation.

This sounds very feasible to me - all one needs to do is accordingly:
- adapt /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd-debian-edu.conf (any samples?)
- promote fresh LTSP to become a diskless server (URL/howto?)
- create grub/pxe boot menu (sample file?)

Thanks
Regards
Ralf