Re: struggling with adding machines

Fco. Sergio Saraiva wrote:
Do this:
At   IP field,  set  ltspserver02  (not 10.0.2.12)

(It was how to work in SL2, with webmin.)

Yes, but that was on the page for dhcp server, not for netgroups.

It seems that in SL3 you have to take the number given by lwat, and enter it into dhcp.conf.

nigel

(I'm replying to the list,even though you didn't, Sergio)

Hi everyone
I have a brand new SL3 Tjener and a brand new SL3 Ltspserver. Both are virgin fresh.
I logged in to lwat on Tjener to add the ltspserver as a machine.
I entered the MAC address very carefully (and rechecked many times since) and the name ltspserver02. Then domain:intern and IP:10.0.2.12 both popped up automatically.
I made it a member of ltsp-server-hosts, saved, and restarted dhcp3-server.
When I booted the ltspserver it came up as dhcp155, bound to 10.0.2.255, and there was an error:
unable to update hostname from DNS.

To check, I entered a machine account for ltspserver01, which is a SL2 server. The same thing happened - it came up as dhcpsomething instead of ltspserver01, and it didn't get the IP shown in lwat.

Since I don't know what I'm doing, I restarted bind also, and then finally rebooted tjener. The same thing keeps happening.

what am I doing wrong?

thanks!

nigel