Re: Q: Diskless Workstations (Sarge)

Hello,

On Sunday 25 February 2007 13:11, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> - If we install LTSP/Diskless client server on a different machine,
> we obviously need to configure DHCP servers on _two_ machines. Is
> this a real problem?
Not at all but ugly and fault-prone. And not necessary!

> - Within the backbone net, now our diskless client server's DHCP
> competes with tjener. But diskless clients will request for PXE/tftp
> while normal workstations just go for DHCP. Is this distinction
> enough to serve both type of clients on the backbone? Or is it
> compulsary to make both servers ignore unknown MAC addresses?
use Option:
next-server ltspx.intern;

Better for this configuration tests use only fixed addresses. Use it on
all server than it is possible to have a poor man fallback dhcp config!

You can use next-server in such sections:
host demohost2.intern
{
        hardware ethernet    08:00:46:49:60:8d; # Sony Laptop
        fixed-address           demohost2;
        next-server               ltspx.intern;
        filename                    "pxelinux.0";
        option root-path         "/opt/nr.asc";
}

But I think this makes the HowTo not easier.

bye Andreas