Re: lenny-release-goal proposal: easy custom CDs/DVDs (Re: Wrapper script for easy CD creation using debian-cd

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, Holger Levsen wrote:

I think that should be fairly easy to do.

... and very interesting!

The difficult part could be to develop a policy, how long the result can be
called "Customised Debian Edu".

If you provide the means to enable people to customise "their" Debian Edu
you will probably have given away control (which is no problem for me but
I take it for a fact.

Is including nonfree software ok? Is
including not-supported-for-a-reason software (think webmin) ok?

Would be OK for me.

Is breaking
upgrades ok? What is ok and what not...

Tha later one would not be OK - but how can you be sure that nobody
breaks unintentionally upgrades.  In how far is it different in the
end for the user trying this Customized CD whether the creator intentionally
or unintentionally broke the upgrade.

Once tools are available that enables users to create their own
CDs, IMHO there are two options:

  1. Allow them to uses "xyz Debian Edu" as a name.
  2. Don't allow to call it Debian Edu.

There is no chance to enforce / control the policy in which cases
it is allowed or not (and I do not think that there is any need
for it).  My only concern would be that before people start implementing
some new functionality they try to contact Debian Edu first whether
it could be implemented in official Debian Edu.  This might help
against unnecessary forks.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--